making Mailman CAN-SPAM compliant (was Re:[Mailman-Developers]Hashing member passwords in config.pck)

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Feb 17 19:55:18 CET 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-17 at 13:22, Adrian Bye wrote:

> And, I just talked with my developer, and he got quite upset about the idea of
> fixing his code to conform to your coding style.  So I guess that won't be
> possible for now.  I certainly understand why you have coding guidelines, I
> agree they are important.  I would have happily paid my developer to bring his
> code in line with your standards.

Sorry, but that's non-negotiable.  I know that you understand, but for
the record, I'm not just stroking my ego.  Coding standards are critical
for long term maintenance.  Without a standard, the readability of the
code goes to hell and code is read orders of magnitude more often than
it's written.  Adhering to the guidelines (hobgoblins notwithstanding)
is our responsibility to those that come after us.

It's unfortunate that your developer can't adapt to the Mailman coding
style.  I work on tons of open source software, and of course lots of
software at my job, and each project has its own coding guidelines.
"When in Rome..." is the operative phrase here.

Hopefully someone else will adapt the code to the style guide.