[Mailman-Developers] Admin-controlled rejection text...

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Thu Jan 20 16:11:31 CET 2005

At 3:56 PM +0100 2005-01-20, Brad Knowles wrote:

>  	Problem is, while we can provide a %()s substitution ourselves in
>  the text we feed to Utils.wrap, I can't do the same thing from
>  member_moderation_notice.  Instead, it simply outputs the literal
>  string, and gives me "<" and ">" as opposed to the real
>  less-than/greater-than symbols that I want to use around the URLs.
>
>  	I'm stumped.  I don't even know what to search for in the archives
>  of the mailman-users and mailman-developers lists.

	I just realized that I should give you folks an example of what
I'm talking about.  With my modified do_reject(), I put the following
text into the member_moderation_notice field:

		Please note that this mailing list has been closed to postings
		via e-mail from non-subscribers.

		If you wish to subscribe to this mailing list, please go to
		the web page at <https://url.here/mailman/listinfo/listname>
		and follow the instructions there.

		If you think that your messages are being rejected in error,
		please contact the mailing list owner at %(listowner)s.

	Here's the literal text that I'm getting back in the error message:

		the web page at &lt;https://url.here/mailman/listinfo/listname&gt;
		and follow the instructions there.

		If you think that your messages are being rejected in error,
		please contact the mailing list owner at %(listowner)s.

	Notice how we have the undesirable "%lt;" and "%gt;" instead of
the proper less-than/greather-than symbols, and the literal
"%(listowner)s" instead of the actual listowner address.

	Now, here's the default text being fed in via do_reject:

		You are not allowed to post to this mailing list, and your
		message has been automatically rejected.  If you think that
		your messages are being rejected in error, contact the
		mailing list owner at %(listowner)s.

	Finally, here's how that default text looks in the rejection message:

		You are not allowed to post to this mailing list, and your
		message has been automatically rejected.  If you think that
		your messages are being rejected in error, contact the
		mailing list owner at listname-owner at url.here.

	What process is being applied to the literal text supplied within
the program, that is not being applied to the
member_moderation_notice?  How do I make sure that process *is*
applied to the member_moderation_notice?

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755