[Mailman-Developers] XML-RPC interface to mailman

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sun Jul 24 21:52:24 CEST 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-22 at 14:15, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> It's not really a problem for Mailman.  But I think that people who
> implement clients of the XML-RPC interface should be warned that there
> is a plausible theory that such clients are derivatives of Mailman,
> just as much as if they imported the functions instead of wrapping
> them in a thin layer of XML and sending the XML over the net.  And
> therefore distribution of such clients may be subject to the GPL.

That's a valid point, and given that it's the FSF that owns Mailman 2.1,
it's really up to them to press the case, should they ever decide to.  I
definitely think that if we distribute client side code for the XML-RPC
interface, that code ought to be LGPL'd.  OTOH, you don't really need
any client code, since Python (or whatever language you'd want to use)
probably has everything you need.

It's worth a (non-scary sounding) warning in the docs.