[Mailman-Developers] Mailman Usability

Tobias Eigen tobias at kabissa.org
Fri Mar 4 14:54:21 CET 2005

Hi all,

I'm glad to see this thread continuing. I agree completely with Terri,
Fil and Joost. I'm really impressed with Googlegroups.. I used it
recently and it works well from a usability standpoint. I think Joost
has hit the nail on the head about how Mailman works well if you want
to understand exactly what it is doing and how it works - most people
(as shown by Yahoogroups) don't need this anymore and can expect to be
shielded from it. Likewise the passwords in the welcome message.

It sounds like through changes to the email interfaces/templates, new
wrappers (liked that idea very much) and a toggle for expert/newbie
interfaces, as well as integration with forums for discussion lists, we
*can* make Mailman more usable by ordinary people.

BTW, for those (like Kabissa) considering non-open source options, I
see that Jive Forums has an "email gateway" that can handle Mailman
integration and MBOX importing. http://www.jivesoftware.com - they have
a nonprofit license option that is in the realm of the affordable.
Something for the FAQ?

So yes, Terri, count me in! I have a ready group of Kabissa members and
list owners who would be willing to help out with usability testing. We
also do training regularly and have training partners in Africa, so
could possibly take advantage of that to do usability testing with
them.

Waiting for MM3 might be too long for me - I am in the process of
overhauling Kabissa's interfaces and integrating them, and need to be
making more rapid progress on making Mailman work for me or replacing
it with something easier.

Cheers,

Tobias

--
Tobias Eigen
Executive Director

Kabissa - Space for Change in Africa
http://www.kabissa.org

* Kabissa's vision is for a socially, economically, politically, and
environmentally vibrant Africa, supported by a strong network of
effective civil society organizations. *