[Mailman-Developers] Mailman Usability

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Fri Mar 4 21:50:19 CET 2005

On Mar 4, 2005, at 9:36 AM, Dale Newfield wrote:
> There are important tradeoffs to consider.  My only interaction with
> google groups is that I now receive about 150 pieces of spam from them
> every day.  I am unable to stem this, and google won't help me to do
> so.  As a result I have added a .procmail filter to junk every message
> that comes from google groups.  I would argue that this makes google
> groups completely un-usable.  I hope that mailman doesn't become so
> simple to use that it becomes more of a spam tool than it already is.

I'm confused... do you feel it's the interface and ease of use of that
interface that makes google groups more of a source of spam, or is this
just a general comment about the disadvantages of their system?

I'm just trying to see if you're trying to indicate something we should
avoid if we start looking to them for inspiration on improving
usability, or if you're just commenting on the other problems of the
system (like suddenly making piles of email addresses available on the
web when they'd been much safer from spammers while sitting on usenet.
I know google groups has increased the amount of spam I receive, but
it's unrelated to their interface...)

  Terri