[Mailman-Developers] Patch for Mail Archive mirroring

JC Dill lists05 at equinephotoart.com
Tue May 3 21:38:51 CEST 2005

Fil wrote:

>I would see it that way, in the "Archiving" section of admin :
>
>      Archiving on a foreign system :
>      -------------------------------
>
>        prevent archiving on foreign systems   yes []  no [x]
>                (adds a X-NO-Archive: header)
>
>        if no,
>        send all mails to archive on the following address(es):
>                [ ................ ]
>                e.g. archiver at mail-archive.org, thingy at gmane.plop, and so on
>                see http://mail.org/foreign_archives/ for more information

(Without stating an opinion on if it is a good idea in *this* case or
not to add this functionality, I'd like to share an opinion about the
nature of the selections.)

The sequence of "prevent" "no" "if no" can be confusing.  I can see list
managers accidentally setting this wrong and then coming to -users
asking for help.  I think it would be less confusing to have it read
like this:

    Archiving on a foreign system :

        allow archiving on foreign systems   NO []  YES[X]
      	   if NO mailman adds a X-NO-Archive: header
     	   if YES,
           send all mails to archives via the following address(es):
                e.g. archiver at mail-archive.org, thingy at gmane.plop, and so on
                see http://mail.org/foreign_archives/ for more information

jc