[Mailman-Developers] Patch for Mail Archive mirroring

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Fri May 6 14:22:38 CEST 2005

At 7:17 PM +0900 2005-05-06, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>  Maybe you could make it part of the user's configuration.  Then the
>  list master could default it to X-No-Archive: yes; individual users
>  could turn it to no if they want to, including on a message by message
>  basis.  A stretch, I know, but it would be really horrible to have to
>  have separate archiving control headers for the user and the list, and
>  to have to establish a precedence, etc.

	I think the concept of having Mailman optionally add it's own
"X-No-Archive:" header would greatly complicate the situation, and I
would be opposed to spending a whole lot of time working on this
unless someone else can provide us a pretty much complete
feature-rich patch that allows for modifying where in the stream this
process is done and where in the stream Mailman pays attention to
this header itself, and on a per-user basis.

	Even then, I would be opposed to spending a whole lot of time
contemplating the patch.

	The original patch is simple enough that I think we can argue the
merits of trying to slip it in sooner rather than later.  However,
the more complex you make this concept and the more complex you make
the patch, the more I would be unwilling to consider incorporating
such a feature until the next major release of Mailman2.

>  I'm happy with your phrasing of "serious consideration."  Nothing's
>  guaranteed in a volunteer maintained project, of course.

	Of course.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755