[Mailman-Developers] PHP Wrappers?

Ian Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Mon Nov 21 11:25:56 CET 2005

On 19 Nov 2005, at 06:35, Brad Knowles wrote:

> At 12:57 PM +0000 2005-11-18, Ian Eiloart wrote:
>
>>  I do mean that my MTA should work closer with Mailman, either by
>>  sharing data, or by letting Mailman reject (not bounce) messages
>>  somehow. "Integrating with" might be a better way of expressing it.
>
> 	How do you propose to do that?  Each MTA has their own way of
> working.  Should we pick one MTA and tell everyone that they have
> to use that one exclusively and we don't allow any other MTAs to be
> used/supported?
>
> 	Please give me details on precisely what level and kind of
> integration would be required.

No, I'm not suggesting that Mailman prefer one mail client over
another. Simply that the ACLs for posting to the list are accessible
in some open format. That is, they should be stored in some
accessible database like an SQL or LDAP database, or even in flat files.

The ACLs themselves should be represented in some open format, like
regular expressions.

>>  Let's be clear. The *requirement* is that my MTA should never accept
>>  an email that isn't going to prove undeliverable.
> 	I'm sorry.  That sentence just isn't parsing right now.  It seems
> like a double or maybe triple negative or something.  Can you try
> re-wording that?

OK, the MTA should ONLY accept email that it can deliver.

>>  No, I just need to be able to access the rules from some other
>>  system. That means that the rules need to be stored in a manner
>>  that's accessible to my MTA. SQL, LDAP, flat files, I don't really
>>  care, but they do need to be accessible. They also need to be
>>  represented in a manner that's easy to understand. For example, a
>>  list of regular expressions. Exim can easily manage that.
> 	Okay, do everything in your MTA.  Problem solved.  We don't need
> any Mailman integration for that.

Well, I'm still hoping that the MLM can handle list creation, and
configuration, and subscription, and bounce handling, and content
filters (if the sender is permitted to post to the list, then I don't
mind bouncing mail to them), and topics, and delivery suspension, and
all the other things that Mailman does.

My MTA can't manage creation of ACLs. Now, I know that Mailman 3
development is focussed on operation, not list configuration, but my
point here is that I want my MTA to be able to share Mailman's sender
ACLs - and that's a design requirement.
--
Ian Eiloart
Postmaster, University of Sussex