[Mailman-Developers] Mailman and S/MIME: OpenSSL licensing vs GPGME

Joost van Baal j.e.vanbaal at uvt.nl
Fri Oct 7 11:31:27 CEST 2005

Hi,

I am working on integrating PGP and S/MIME with Mailman (see
http://non-gnu.uvt.nl/pub/mailman/ and my previous post
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-developers/2005-March/017974.html).
The PGP stuff works, I am now working with pyme
(http://pyme.sourceforge.net/) and GPGME to get S/MIME stuff done.

I've found out the hard way that GPGME is pretty rough on the edges and
am considering moving to OpenSSL (e.g. using pyOpenSSL or M2Crypto).  I
would really like to get my patch used by a lot of people, and it would
really rock if one day the patch could get shipped with the upstream
Mailman distribution.  Now, would using a Python OpenSSL library
diminish my chances, e.g. because of licensing issues?  And should I
therefore stick with GPGME?

Thanks for any insight.

Bye,

Joost