[Mailman-Developers] Issues with archiving directory and OSlimitations

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Oct 25 05:25:06 CEST 2005

AE Somerville wrote:

>Related problems (from the 'fix'):
>
>1.    The HTML links are not working for the archive site, but it would be
>nice to have them functioning.

They don't work because they are constructed using the
Archiver.GetBaseArchiveURL() method which doesn't use
Site.get_archpath(). For public archives, assuming you haven't changed
the default

PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL = 'http://%(hostname)s/pipermail/%(listname)s'

I think you can put

PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL =
'http://%(hostname)s/pipermail/%(listname)s/%(listname)s'

(watchout for wrapped line) in mm_cfg.py to fix.

For private archives, you will need to edit the definition of
GetBaseArchiveURL() in Mailman/Archiver/Archiver.py or possibly you
can make the old URL work with a rewrite rule in your web server.

>2.    Possible larger ramifications from the alteration of this function
>that I cannot see yet.

The links in the archive itself are all relative, so that should be OK.
I think you're probably OK in general if you fix the stuff in 1), but
I haven't really looked hard enough to verify this. Of course, if you
patch Archiver.py, you have to maintain the patch across upgrades.

>Advice from the folks who are a lot more familiar with mailman would be
>great to point us at a more eloquent solution.

Brad has addressed your basic solution and suggested ways for further
reducing the size of the archives/private and archives/public
directories. Of course, you eventually have the same issue with the
lists/ directory.