[Mailman-Developers] Mailman 2.X CVS MAIN is back

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Sep 1 16:28:57 CEST 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 04:03, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:

> The default python version in Debian is still 2.3, so I would really
> like 2.3 to be supported for MM2.2.

I'm a Gentoo users myself, so I'm not really up on Debian's processes
and schedules.  However I did check a few other OSes that I had laying
around.

Tiger (Mac OS X 10.4) is Python 2.3.5
Gentoo's stable is 2.3.5
RHEL4 is 2.3.4

So it looks like we'll have an uphill battle here, at least in the short
term.  Of course installing Python from source isn't really that hard;
OTOH, every hurdle we put up probably peels off 50% of our users.

I definitely want the new email package, so let's see if it's feasible
to target Python 2.3 and email 3.0 as a separate package, but leave open
the door to Python 2.4 if there's a really compelling additional reason,
or the OS landscape changes.