[Mailman-Developers] Logging issues on the trunk

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Apr 27 15:32:06 CEST 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-26 at 19:20 -0700, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Barry Warsaw wrote:

> >Looks like that's a Python 2.3/2.4 compatibility issue.  Dang.  Okay,
> >I'll figure out a workaround for that.
>

> It doesn't seem to me to be 2.3/2.4 compatibility. It doesn't work for
> me with 2.4.1 and it didn't work for the poor soul who reported on
> mailman-users that he tried building from source for the first time
> and used the SVN trunk, and he has 2.3.5. There's no indication of an
> encoding argument in either <http://docs.python.org/lib/node347.html>
> or <http://docs.python.org/dev/lib/node391.html>

Oh nice.  From scanning the logs, it appears as though the encoding
stuff appeared in 2.4.2.  Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad.

In any event, we need to make this stuff work with 2.3 so I'll fix that,
probably by writing a complete reopenable file handler from scratch.
That'll let us pass the error handling to the codec open too, which we
definitely need.

Won't happen in the about to go in next patch, but hopefully I will get
to it tonight.

Also, note to those running the trunk: development is picking up and
it's very possible that things may be unstable for a bit.  I'm going to
try to get the new tracker up as quickly as possible, but for now, just
let us know here on this mailing list and we'll get to it as soon as
possible.

Also, if you're interested in working on Mailman 2.2, let us know.  I'd
like to get more people involved!