[Mailman-Developers] New Mailman logging

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun Apr 30 02:53:32 CEST 2006

I think I've finally gotten a grasp of the new Mailman logging scheme
and I think there's something missing.

I see how the basic logging to files works and how the propagate flag
to loginit.initialize() controls propagation to the root 'mailman'
logger which logs to the sys.stderr stream.

What I think is missing is something analogous to the old
Mailman.Logging.Utils.LogStdErr() to cause writes to sys.stderr to be
logged instead of or in addition to being sent to the stderr stream.

The end result of this is that a few messages from bin/mailmanctl and
one message from bin/qrunner will only go to the stderr stream and
will not be logged. I don't see this as serious as I think all these
messages can only occur in response to fatal conditions in direct
response to a mailmanctl command.

However, there are also sys.stderr writes in the various scripts
invoked by the mail wrapper. These used to be logged as well as
written to the stderr stream (where they presumably end up in a DSN).
The error conditions that cause these messages occur because of bad
alaises or routers in the MTA (things that invoke the wrapper without
a list name) or aliases left after a list is removed. These should
probably still be logged.