[Mailman-Developers] suggested improvement for Mailman's bounce processing

Bob Puff@NLE bob at nleaudio.com
Mon Aug 7 21:28:46 CEST 2006

James Ralston wrote:

>     Choices:
>
>         [X] Count the bounce against the threshold.
>         [ ] Forward the bounce to the list owner.
>         [ ] Ignore the bounce.
>
> Comments?

I thought there already was a "Forward bounces to admin" setting.  If not, there should be (and
derfault should be off).  Then, this question should be, "Try to interpret content bounces?  Y/N".

It gets messy (and often confusing) combining two selections with one question.

IMHO, I really don't care to try to determine content bounces.  I've seen many that give no
indication of why the message bounced.  The bounce processor I wrote for 2.0.x handles these in what
I consider an appropriate way:

1. If a user has bounces every day messages are delivered, and this continues for x days, they get
canned.
2. If a day goes by that messages are delivered, and no bounce occurs, bounce info is reset.

If people bounce a message every day for a couple weeks, I consider their ISP broken enough to
warrant unsubscription.

Bob

P.S. Tokio & Barry: please don't forget to have a look at the bounce issue I posted a week or so
regarding - that's a nasty one!