[Mailman-Developers] Fwd: suggested improvement for Mailman's bounce processing

Ian Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Mon Aug 14 11:53:50 CEST 2006

--On 11 August 2006 19:38:34 -0700 Jeff Schnitzer <jeff at infohazard.org>
wrote:

> Brad Knowles wrote:
>> Okay, now that's different.  This actually clicks in very well with
>> the recent article I wrote on fighting spam for publication on the
>> LOPSA website, because backscatter has become one of my biggest hot
>> buttons lately.  Putting an intelligent limiter on the potential
>> causes of backscatter (like no more than one notice per recipient per
>> day, or whatever), brings it down into the realm of what I would
>> consider to be less than ideal but at least below the threshold of
>> "totally unacceptable".
>
> Ok, I just checked this 5-minute fix into SubEtha.  Happier, Ian?
>
> Jeff

Yes, that's great! I'd guess that this is 90-99% improvement. In fact,  I'd
probably use that feature for my local domain (sussex.ac.uk), which is
virtually spam free because I only accept from that domain if it's been
authenticated, or locally submitted, or has a header that was added by our
MSA servers. In fact, the only spam I get into my "local" mailbox is
Mailman moderation requests.

I'd still want to reject at SMTP time for non-local domains, though.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex