[Mailman-Developers] Fwd: suggested improvement for Mailman's bounce processing

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Tue Aug 15 10:40:53 CEST 2006

At 10:59 PM -0700 2006-08-14, John W. Baxter wrote:

>  Unfortunately, the would-be posters then have to be notified of the message
>  status.  Thus, while you're reducing moderator workload, the backscatter
>  problem isn't solved.

No, it's not solved.  However, by putting a semi-intelligent time
limiter on the thing (i.e., no more than one response per address per
day, or somesuch), the backscatter problem is at least contained to a
more tolerable level.

And this does get back to the balance thing that I was taking about
earlier.  If doing your best to make sure that people know that their
message was rejected, or held for moderation, or whatever, is more
important to you (and your community), then you've got the option to
make those sorts of things happen.  If eliminating all possibility of
backscatter is more important, you've got the option to do that, too.

The point here is to increase your options available to you, and to
also try to help reduce the load on list moderators and list owners
to a more tolerable level.

At least, that's the idea.  I'm hoping that the reality will live up
to this theory.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755

  Founding Individual Sponsor of LOPSA.  See <http://www.lopsa.org/>.