[Mailman-Developers] subscription barrier

Thomas Andrews tandrews at grok.co.za
Sun Aug 27 14:05:42 CEST 2006

Hi,

On the asterisk-dev list, we constantly get questions that should have
been sent to asterisk-users. (I'm sure the same has happened here.)

I have a suggestion which people might like: If one can be required to
answer a question correctly during the subscription proces, unnecessary
memberships could be blocked.

For example, let's say the admin made the question"

    "What is the value of x in typedef enum { u,v,x,y,z=9 } e; ?"

The average non-C programmer would probably get the message and not
bother to subscribe. It would also take a bit of trouble to find out the
correct answer if they did try. Of course it would be up to the list
admin to enable this feature, and choose the question (and it's answer.)

A small useful side-effect is that it might help raise the bar against
spammers doing scripted list subscriptions.

Regards,
Thomas