[Mailman-Developers] Postfix/virtual-mailman not compatible when using dedicated destination (like "localhost")

Joe Peterson joe at skyrush.com
Mon Dec 4 21:52:23 CET 2006

I wanted to post this to the developer list and see if there have been
any previous thoughts on my situation and also if there are related
features being developed for 3.0 (if so, there's probably no point in
patching 2.x).

Anyway, my postfix configuration, although probably not rare, seems to
be different that many.  In my case, all of my domains are "virtual".  I
have real unix users, and in order to have the same email account name
in different domains, I make a user with "name-domain".  In my postfix
virtual file, I map "name at domain" to name-domain, however, since I do
not want to pick one of my actual domains as the default destination, I
set $mydestination to "localhost", requiring me to map "name at domain" to
"name-domain at localhost".  The benefit is that there is no domain to
which "name-domain at domain" would work (I do not want this to work as a
side effect).

Sorry for the long description!!  :)  Anyway, give the above, without
modifying MTA/Postfix.py (and it's a trivial mod, I know), there is no
way to make Mailman's automatic postfix alias stuff completely work.  I
now have my own auto-generated virtual file and I do not use
virtual-mailman, but I'd rather take advantage of it if I could.

There's another guy in my situation who patched Postfix.py, and I
recently contacted him to see if he's every communicated with you guys
or submitted a patch.  He said no, but he's be glad if I did.  So that
brings me here!  :)  I looked at the latest svn code, and I did not see
something like this implemented.  His site, which describes all of this, is:

	http://www.qnan.org/~pmw/howtos/mailman-virtuals.html

I've submitted patches for Mailman before, and I'd be glad to do one
again, but I wanted to ask:

1) Do you see benefit to adding a variable that would define this
right-hand-side domain (e.g. "localhost") for virtual-mailman?

2) What is a good name for the variable?  (POSTFIX_VIRTUAL_DESTINATION?)

	Thanks, Joe