[Mailman-Developers] On allowing any list member to be an email moderator

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Sun Jan 1 19:51:26 CET 2006

At 3:48 AM -0500 2006-01-01, Robby Griffin wrote:

>  Here's what I've done for somewhat unrelated reasons:
>
>  - patch bin/discard to support rejecting held messages
>     and providing rejection comments.
>
>  - add a cron job that rejects held messages older than 10 days,
>     with the following comment:
>
>     "Your message was automatically rejected after being on hold too
>      long without moderator action."

	I like both of these modifications.  Have you already submitted
patches for them to SourceForge?  If not, could I talk you into doing
that?

	I'd certainly like to apply these modifications to the other site
I help administer, and I'd like to talk to Barry about incorporating
these features on python.org.

>  If I had this to do over, I would probably say the timeout and
>  action (discard, reject with configurable comment, approve) for
>  expiring held messages ought to be configurable sitewide and/or
>  per-list rather than hardwired in a cron job.

	Agreed.  But I would think that this would be a relatively minor
enhancement over the original modification.

>  I would also want to consider the relationship of any such
>  configuration with mm_cfg.PENDING_REQUEST_LIFE. It appears that
>  some subscription requests and confirmation cookies for held posts
>  may already expire on their own schedule, and that the rationale
>  for this might inform the design of held message expiration.

	That's also a good idea.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755