[Mailman-Developers] On allowing any list member to be an email moderator

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Jan 3 15:38:36 CET 2006

>  3.  Where possible, the information _and the controls_ for a single
>      entry should be on a single line.  I think it's reasonable to
>      assume as a default that the moderator has at least a 1024px width
>      screen

	Now there, I disagree.  My machine is a few years old, but
	there are still plenty of laptops being built and shipped
	today that have relatively small screens, and laptops are
	quickly becoming the default computer instead of desktops.

Ah, the disadvantages of living in Japan, Inc.  The option of a laptop
with less than 1024x768 hasn't been available to me for several years
in this country.  (Might have something to do with kanji requiring
high resolution, too.)

	Morever, we can't know the typeface/font size choices that the
	moderator has made in their web browser, so what may fit on
	your one line may wind up being effectively three poorly
	formatted lines for someone who is visually impaired.

Isn't that what I just said (and you snipped)?  I'm well-aware of the
problem; I have to read Japanese, which (for comfort as a non-native)
requires fonts with approximately twice the minimum resolution I can
reasonably use for English.

My reason for proposing that as default, though, is that if somebody
requires bigger fonts or smaller screen, then really, shouldn't
somebody with good eyes or equipment volunteer for that burden?  Of
course sometimes they gotta or they wanna, so we *must* keep the
current format (or an incremental improvement on it) as an option.
But I would expect that those with even mild impairment would
self-select out of that job on average.

    Brad> 	From everything you've said, I think you would like
    Brad> Skip's mmfold.py script.  I think you should check it out.

I already do like it.  Most of the moderators I know don't have the
necessary shell access, though.