[Mailman-Developers] On allowing any list member to be an email moderator

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Wed Jan 4 05:31:10 CET 2006

At 11:38 PM +0900 2006-01-03, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>  My reason for proposing that as default, though, is that if somebody
>  requires bigger fonts or smaller screen, then really, shouldn't
>  somebody with good eyes or equipment volunteer for that burden?

	I don't think you can make that assumption.  Many people are just
barely getting by on their own, and we've even got a lot of hosting
sites running Plesk or crap like cPanel or MacOS X Server, or with
heavily customized "normal" Mailman configurations, and yet they get
absolutely no site administrator support at all.

	Any default change like this would have to be something that a
list moderator could configure for themselves, without any
intervention on the part of the list administrator, and especially
without any intervention on the part of the site administrator.

>  But I would expect that those with even mild impairment would
>  self-select out of that job on average.

	When you're in a ghetto and no way out, when the power & gas
company starts sending you invoices that are not intelligible and
your heating bill goes up by a factor of ten in a single month, what
do you think people are going to do?

>      Brad> 	From everything you've said, I think you would like
>      Brad> Skip's mmfold.py script.  I think you should check it out.
>
>  I already do like it.  Most of the moderators I know don't have the
>  necessary shell access, though.

	All you need is shell access somewhere.  It does everything over
HTTP, so it doesn't have to be run on the server where the list is
hosted.  That should make the job a lot easier, albeit still not as
simple as pointing their existing favourite web browser at the
appropriate admindb page.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755