[Mailman-Developers] On allowing any list member to be an email moderator

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Wed Jan 4 05:38:21 CET 2006

At 12:07 PM -0500 2006-01-03, Barry Warsaw wrote:

>  I'm actually thinking we need /less/ magic in command line scripts,
>  especially for typical user and admin tasks, because I think
>  increasingly, fewer people have access to the command line (or know what
>  to do with it when they've got it).

	The command-line scripts are not for your average joe-user sites.
The command-line scripts are for people like me, Chuq, Skip, and
anyone else who operates or may want to operate a larger site, and
has not written such a tool for themselves -- at least, not yet.

	That is, unless you can build an admin interface that can deal
with hundreds of thousands of queued messages without killing both
the server and the client.

>  I'm keen on the idea of making Mailman access available via xmlrpc or
>  somesuch, and then we can provide scripts that can be run on the client
>  w/o requiring a browser.

	I'm not opposed to that, but I'd want to make sure those kinds of
tools could also be run on the server where the list is hosted.

>>  	IMAP would probably be an improvement over what we have now,
>>  assuming you've got a decent IMAP client -- that's not necessarily a
>>  valid assumption.  But my experience is that IMAP falls down too
>>  (especially depending on the IMAP server implementation), and you
>>  need something even scalable when that happens.
>
>  True.  (Aside: why do all mail clients suck so much? :)

	All mail servers suck, too.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755