[Mailman-Developers] Inactivity deletion of maillist users ?

John W. Baxter jwblist at loricamail.com
Fri Jan 13 03:08:42 CET 2006

On 1/12/06 5:51 PM, "Mark Sapiro" <msapiro at value.net> wrote:

> Joshua Ginsberg wrote:
>>
>> Perhaps an interesting compromise might be to add to config.pck a key
>> "last_post" whose value is a dictionary of email:time 9-tuple pairs.
>> That way, folks like Erling could write a script to go ahead and do this
>> fu, and it might be an interesting metric for other purposes as well.
>
> This could prove to be a real burden to sites that have LARGE lists.
> Adding yet another dictionary with 100,000 keys to the list object
> could have significant impact.

Aimed primarily at original poster, whose name I don't remember.

What is so hard about parsing the lines like the following in the post log
for the information?

Jan 11 14:31:59 2006 (8997) post to <list-name> from user at example.com,
size=3320, message-id=<insignificant for this purpose>, success

Run a script before the log is rotated away which maintains a database keyed
by posting address and containing a last_post_date field.  Now and then
query the database for posters who have posted more recently than xxx days
ago, gets a list of all members, and reports the set difference of
all-members - recent-posters.  Action taken could be any of the ones
discussed.

This really doesn't seem like it should be part of Mailman, although it
might have standing as a contributed extra goodie.  I would expect it to
have a low download count.

  --John