[Mailman-Developers] [Mailman-Users] Problems with uuencoded attachments

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sun Jan 15 16:49:47 CET 2006

On Jan 14, 2006, at 9:59 PM, Tokio Kikuchi wrote:

> Mark Sapiro wrote:
>

>>> File "/usr/lib/python2.3/uu.py", line 139, in decode
>>>   sys.stderr.write("Warning: %s\n" % str(v))
>>> File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Logging/MultiLogger.py", line 45,
>>> in write
>>>   _logexc(logger, msg)
>>> File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Logging/Utils.py", line 22, in
>>> _logexc
>>>   sys.__stderr__.write('Logging error: %s\n' % logger)
>>> IOError: [Errno 32] Broken pipe
>
>> I think this could be fixed by changing
>> "/usr/lib/mailman/pythonlib/email/Message.py", line 223 from
>>                     uu.decode(StringIO(payload+'\n'), sfp)
>>                     uu.decode(StringIO(payload+'\n'), sfp,
>> quiet=True)
>

> There should be other chances that Python builtin modules spew
> warnings to sys.stderr.  How about this patch for Logging/Utils.py
> to write these messages into syslog facility.

The only problem is that currently Mailman does not use the syslog
module, and I'm uncomfortable with adding it for this one situation
(are there others?).  We should definitely be passing the quiet flag
to uu.decode(), but OTOH maybe we should also be testing whether
sys.__stderr__ is detached and then redirecting that to logs/errors?