[Mailman-Developers] Turning off dynamic JavaScript

emf i at mindlace.net
Tue Jul 4 20:06:27 CEST 2006

Brad Knowles wrote:

> Speaking only for myself, this is not the kind of approach I'd like to see
> used.  I'd prefer to see the web application auto-detect that JavaScript
> is not available, and therefore to automatically present the appropriate
> non-JavaScript interface.

I will do this for browsers not employing JavaScript. Screen readers
employ JavaScript and provide no indication what they do/do not provide
feedback to the user for.

> Likewise, it should auto-detect that there is a
> screen reader being used, and present the appropriate screen reader
> compatible interface.

This is an admirable goal. One "screen reader" in semi-common use is IE
6 via Jaws; another one is Safari with OS X reading turned on.

They present to me no handle, user-agent or otherwise, indicating
they're being spoken rather than seen.

> Of course, the manual options should always be there, but if we're forcing
> the user to manually select a different page in order to get away from the
> JavaScript stuff, then I think we're doing something wrong.

I agree that it is an Ugly Hack; In this case I think the screen readers
are misbehaved, but there's not a lot I can do about that.

~ethan fremen