[Mailman-Developers] Parsing and Rendering rfc8222

John W. Baxter jwblist3 at olympus.net
Thu Jul 6 02:04:16 CEST 2006

On 7/5/06 4:30 PM, "Barry Warsaw" <barry at python.org> wrote:

> I'm thinking something along the lines of sha1 hashing Message-ID and
> perhaps Date.  RFC 2822 $3.6 says that the only required headers are
> the origination date (Date:) and originator address fields (From: and
> possibly Sender: and Reply-To:).

One does see messages with no Date: header.  In the past, one also saw
messages with multiple Date: headers.  (Neither condition complies with
RFCs.)  I suspect in that case the hash would include some convenient
constant.  (I can't remember where I saw the multiple Date: header form--it
might have been from Western Union (or not)).

I was examining Date: headers because of the bug in old Exchange + Outlook
combinations in which a crafted overlength Date: header could cause viral
infections if the message were simply present in a mailbox list display
created by Outlook.  (Around 1966 or so, but of course those versions have
to be in use together somewhere still--it's only a decade.)

  --John