[Mailman-Developers] test addresses

Ian Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Thu Jul 6 18:46:21 CEST 2006

Hi,

I was just discussing Mailman features with our user-support person. One
idea we had (not directly related to the web interface) is a test address
for every list.

The purpose is to test a list setup without spamming everyone. So, if we
had a list foo at example.com, it would be nice to be able to send an email to
foo-test at example.com and get back an email saying what would have happened
if I'd emailed the list.

The result might be a standard bounce, but alternatively, it might say
"your email was accepted, and would have been delivered to 16 addresses,
including 4 other Mailman lists on this server. 3 other recipients have
no-mail set". Where a list member is another Mailman list on the same
server, that list should be sent an email to its test address, and so on,
recursively.

Of course, if the new interface manages to be sufficiently simple and
robust, the need for test addresses might be reduced.
--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex