[Mailman-Developers] suggested improvement for Mailman's bounce processing

Ian Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Mon Jul 31 11:56:41 CEST 2006

--On 28 July 2006 21:31:29 -0500 Brad Knowles <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org>
wrote:

> At 5:36 PM -0400 2006-07-28, James Ralston wrote:
>
>>  I admit that this algorithm isn't perfect.  But I think it's better
>>  than what Mailman does currently, which is to ignore the status field
>>  entirely.
>
> Unfortunately, there are a whole host of seriously broken MTAs out
> there, and seriously broken configurations of otherwise good MTAs,
> and many sites return totally bogus status codes.

I don't see how that could create a problem. The worst thing that could
happen is that someone remains subscribed to a list when they should not.

Alternately, they could be unsubscribed because their MTA is returning the
wrong error codes - but then that would give their postmaster a good reason
to fix the error codes. In this case, they'd be unsubscribed as things
stand anyway.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex