[Mailman-Developers] 2.1.8 documentation mismatch

David Lee t.d.lee at durham.ac.uk
Thu Jun 8 13:39:22 CEST 2006

On Wed, 7 Jun 2006, Barry Warsaw wrote:

> [...]
> It's just that we'll be redesigning the web u/i as part of the Google
> SoC project (don't worry, it's not a forgone conclusion that that work
> will be integrated into the mainline release).  As we redesign and
> rewrite, I think we should standardize on "Approve" for actions to be
> taken by the list administrator.
>
> [...]
> So I think the following terms should be used consistently (I'm not
> suggesting a mass rewrite to adhere to this):
>
> Approve
> Hold
> Reject
> Discard

Throwing another item into the pot...

... on May 19th I started a thread "sender-based authorisation".  In
summary, this is intended as a defence against spoof.  The incoming email
would carry a header (of first line in body) of something like:
   Authorised:  sender-pw

where "sender-pw" is associated with the (claimed) From-address.  This is
different from, but complementary to, "Approved: list-pw".

(See the thread itself for the gory detail.)

This thread seemed to be accepted in principle, and as a step towards the
"to-do" item.

Given that I'm just about to start on implementing this, it would be nice
to establish whether this sender-related word "Authorised" is the
appropriate word, or if there is something better.

Locally, we need to get moving on implementing this concept.  Whilst my
local code might get heavily replaced as future versions of Mailman
(re-)implement these ideas, it would nevertheless be useful, from the
persepctive of our users, to get the terminology agreed early on.)

:  Senior Systems Programmer                Computer Centre       :
:                                           Durham University     :
:                                           Durham DH1 3LE        :