[Mailman-Developers] Virtual Domains Redux (w proposal)

Hans Ulrich Niedermann hun at n-dimensional.de
Sat Mar 4 06:16:12 CET 2006

Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> writes:

> Anyway, my intent is not to critique other solutions, but to say that
> I would much prefer to see a directory inserted rather than a
> host_name appended. This has performance advantages and might fit
> better with a scheme of "hashed" intermediate directories to help
> sites with very large numbers of lists. Once you add the
> infrastructure for one intermediate directory, it may become simpler
> to add more intermediate directories.
>
> I.e, for the initial cut, split the lists/<listname> structure into
> lists/<hostname>/<listname> and similarly for archives/private and
> archives/public.

Actually, implementing the lists/<hostname>/<localpart> and
archives/(private|public)/<hostname>/<localpart> was one of the first
things I have implemented, as it is one of the easiest parts and had
been mentioned at
http://www.zope.org/Members/bwarsaw/MailmanDesignNotes/VirtualHosting

It's not as clean as I'd like it to be yet, though: There is the very
same code to create those directories in both Mailman/Site.py and
Mailman/Archives/Archives.py (two nested try: blocks with the
os.umask() where the inner try finally calls os.makedirs()).

OTOH, one can argue that Site.py and Archives.py handle fundamentally
different things and just happen to need the same code. Still, I
always become wary when I see the same code in different places :)

> Anyway, it's your project, but I think we'd all welcome a complete
> solution to this problem.

Good. Let's see how far I can get.

Gruß,

Hans Ulrich Niedermann