[Mailman-Developers] Virtual Domains Redux (w proposal)

Hans Ulrich Niedermann hun at n-dimensional.de
Mon Mar 6 11:01:41 CET 2006

Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> writes:

> On Sat, 2006-03-04 at 14:57 -0500, Bob Puff wrote:
>> > I.e, for the initial cut, split the lists/<listname> structure into
>> > lists/<hostname>/<listname> and similarly for archives/private and
>> > archives/public.
>>
>> Definite +1 on that!
>
> Yep, that's definitely where my thinking was leading the last time I
> worked on this.  FWIW, in Mailman 3 I've been thinking that the "list
> id" will essentially be the full posting address, so that it's pretty
> clear what "foo at dom1.org" and "foo at dom2.org" point to.

Yupp, I like that, too. My "vhost branch" supports both types of list
id (MailList.internal_name()):
   * traditional site wide (and postfix style virtual) lists (named
     "foo")
   * new "vhost lists" named ("foo at dom1.org" and "foo at dom2.org")
That should make vhost->MM3 migration easier :)

> Let me make two other suggestion for those of you working on patches.
> First, generate your patches against the Mailman trunk, for what will
> eventually be Mailman 2.2.

That is CVS HEAD in the "mailman" CVS module, I presume. Now that I
have finally gotten through to the anoncvs server, I have fetched
mailman HEAD and 2.1-maint.

> There's no way we can add this stuff to MM2.1, but Tokio did the
> heavy lifting a while back to whip the trunk into shape, and all
> patches are being applied to both the trunk and the 2.1-maint
> branch.  At some point, they'll start to diverge but for now
> they should be pretty similar (modulo some i18n stuff).

Ah good. If the difference is that small, I'll continue with 2.1 first
(as I have started from there) and port to HEAD (2.2) when I have the
basics working on 2.1.

> Also, now that SF provides Subversion support, I very strongly want to
> migrate to it.  Among many other advantages, this will make it easier to
> create experimental branches to work on things like this.

Definite +1 on ditching CVS. And (at least theoretically by using
svk), SVN is even supposed to be usable by the non-priviledge masses
who have not been blessed with write access to the central
repository. *That* is the killer advantage IMHO.

Gruß,

Hans Ulrich Niedermann