[Mailman-Developers] Virtual Domains Redux (w proposal)

Msquared sub1.dev.mailman at msquared.id.au
Fri Mar 10 03:00:07 CET 2006

On Thu, Mar 09, 2006 at 08:16:39PM -0500, Bob Puff wrote:

> I don't follow why one would need that, if you already separated based on
> email domain.  In other words, if you had list at sussex.com,
> list at physics.sussex.com, and list at english.sussex.com, why not:
>
> /lists/sussex.com/list
> /lists/physics.sussex.com/list
> /lists/english.sussex.com/list

Scope of ownership and management.

These might have different owners:

  /lists/mine.example.net/
  /lists/yours.example.net/

but these might have the same owner:

  /lists/dept1.foo.org/
  /lists/dept2.foo.org/

If it were possible to control access/ownership/etc according to
subdirectories, this would allow you to grant control of subdirectories
from the appropriate level down:

  /lists/org/foo/  is for *.foo.org
  /lists/net/example/mine/ is for me
  /lists/net/exmaple/yours/ is for you

Of course I don't know if mailman yet allows such delegation of control,
but it would be nifty...

You could still control access like that through unix/linux directory
ownerships, for example, though.

Regards, Msquared...