[Mailman-Developers] Virtual Domains Redux (w proposal)

Hans Ulrich Niedermann hun at n-dimensional.de
Fri Mar 10 20:11:47 CET 2006

Rich Johnson <rjohnson at dogstar-interactive.com> writes:

> As the initiator, I'll chime in with the following:

[ list at foo and list at bar on the same MM instance ]

> _processed_ by the same install? yes.
>
>   _cohabitate_? perhaps.  But this is a site and/or  domain
> administrator configuration decision--and not imposed by the
> developer.  I've been pretty consistent about my aversion to
> comingling data from separate domains in the same tree.  I view the
> domain split as _more_ important that the virtual service provided--
> be it apache vhosts, exim vusers, or mailman.  Ideally it could be a
> mount point.
>
> IMO:
> - Ephemeral data such as queues and logs might or might not cohabit.

...depending on the number of mails per day, the number of lists,
number of subdomains, number of subdomain admins, and how the admin
tasks are distributed between the site admins and the subdomain
admins.

> - Persistent data such as list configuration, subscriber lists, and
>   archives must be severable

This can be achieved by consequent usage of Mailman/Site.py -
basically concentrating all calls to os.path.join() in Mailman/Site.py.

> - HTTP and mail message templates probably require list->sub-domain-
>  >base-domain->site scoping  [N.B.  I'm still thinking about my
> position on this issue]

Let me cite the comment from MM's 2.1.7 Mailman/Utils.py findtext()
function:

    # When looking for a template in a specific language, there are 4 places
    # that are searched, in this order:
    #
    # 1. the list-specific language directory
    #    lists/<listname>/<language>
    #
    # 2. the domain-specific language directory
    #    templates/<list.host_name>/<language>
    #
    # 3. the site-wide language directory
    #    templates/site/<language>
    #
    # 4. the global default language directory
    #    templates/<language>

Looks like your idea is already in place. :)

Gruß,

Hans Ulrich Niedermann