[Mailman-Developers] sender-based authorisation

David Lee t.d.lee at durham.ac.uk
Mon May 22 16:38:20 CEST 2006

On Sat, 20 May 2006, Barry Warsaw wrote:

> [...]
> Another possibility is to extend Approve.py to accept multiple Approved:
> headers.   [...]

OK-ish for techie-like posters.  And probably OK for some sites.  But for
this particular environment at this site, the typical senders are senior
university managers, not techies.  Even assuming (a big assumption) that
(politically) asking them to type ten "Approved:" lines was OK, what about
error handling (e.g. two typos in that list?  a typo in one of the
instances of the "Approved:" word itself causing pw leakage to other
lists?  when they want (legimately) to post to other lists normally under
a department's control?  ...)

Thanks for the reply.

To me (admittedly a complete newcomer to Mailman) the proper solution
seems to be in recognising the large commonality of my "authorised sender"
query with the "todo" item about personal accounts and going from there.

(Also if I, a Mailman newcomer, start charging around in the middle of the
code for a local, supposedly "quick fix" usage, I might inadvertently make
all sorts of blunders, creating corresponding non-quick support issues.)

:  Senior Systems Programmer                Computer Centre       :
:                                           Durham University     :
:                                           Durham DH1 3LE        :