[Mailman-Developers] Topic regexps

John W. Baxter jwblist3 at olympus.net
Fri May 26 18:42:42 CEST 2006

On 5/25/06 8:29 PM, "Mark Sapiro" <msapiro at value.net> wrote:

> I've thought about this some more and what I'm currently thinking is if
> the topic regexp is multiline, leave it as is in topics, but before
> compiling it for use, split the lines and then rejoin them with "|",
> and compile not in VERBOSE mode.

I think you need to strip any trailing | characters from the strings in the
resulting list before joining with |.

Otherwise, you might build one||two||three
Which clearly isn't what is wanted.

Hmmm...I guess I mean "up to one trailing | character"...in case someone
really wanted one||two for some really strange reason.

> I think this would be the natural interpretation from the existing
> explanation.

I agree.

When we first installed a Mailman version with topic support, I messed
around with it, and it didn't work.  Since I didn't care much, I ignored the
problem rather than figuring out what I was doing wrong.  (This thread has
made that obvious, of course.)

  --John