[Mailman-Developers] Crypto-sign to post

Ian Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Mon Nov 6 12:59:49 CET 2006

--On 4 November 2006 13:32:13 -0500 Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:

> Given that this could be a posting option that list admins could
> choose or not, I'm all for it.  I'd like to augment the "who can post
> to this list" options with at least one other workflow: self-
> verification.  IOW, even if you're not a member of the list, you
> would get a confirmation message, which when replied to would enable
> your posts to the list, without you having to subscribe.
>
> This is clearly a Mailman 2.2 feature though, so if you decide to
> whip something up, please do so against the trunk.
>
> - -Barry

This can be useful if enabled for specific domains - for example, we'd use
it for our own domain. However, if you blindly respond to spam with
confirmation messages, you'll be generating collateral spam. That'll
already get you blacklisted with spamcop. So, I'm in favour if it's
implemented carefully.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex