[Mailman-Developers] list confirm and request addresses acting as open relay

Ian Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Thu Oct 19 11:47:00 CEST 2006

--On 19 October 2006 10:35:37 +0900 stephen at xemacs.org wrote:

> Giuliano Gavazzi writes:
>
>  > I have then noticed that the confirm address (listname-confirm
>  > +... at ...) and the request address (listname-request at ...) act as
>  > mirrors to the alleged envelope sender, sending back the whole email
>  > after the parsed commands.
>
> This kind of thing has been mentioned, I think, in respect of bounce
> messages.
>
> I think the real solution has to be to send only generated text when
> that will do.  In case of a problem the original message should be
> stored (and queued for deletion after the usual period for expiration
> of a confirmation), and a reply generated containing an error message,
> and the URL of the original message for diagnostic purposes.

Of course, this is a kind of open relay. If you can get email through to
the listname-request address, then you can get Mailman to send email to any
address that you like. I hope that's not true of listname-confirm… Oh,
but it is. If it sees an unrecognised request, it will respond in the
belief that it's an expired request.

I have no real information on how often those addresses are really used,
but I suspect that most list interaction is through the web these days. Is
it possible to turn off listname-request for the site? And, perhaps, to use
a much longer expiry time (months rather than days), and ignore or
moderated unrecognised requests. Better would be some opportunity to reject
them early, so the MTA has a chance of rejecting the incoming email.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex