[Mailman-Developers] [Mailman-checkins] SF.net SVN: mailman: [8041] trunk/mailman/Mailman

Dale Newfield Dale at Newfield.org
Wed Sep 27 06:51:07 CEST 2006

Bob Puff at NLE wrote:
> the virtual file should indeed contain the hostname.  The aliases
> file should not.  These are two separate files, both of which are
> necessary.

I mostly agree with you, but your solution won't allow true virtual
hosting (having test at domain1.com and test at domain2.com be separate lists
running on the same machine/mailman instance).

Maybe something like this modified example?

data/virtual-mailman:
> mailman at nle.com           mailman_at_nle_com
> mailman-admin at nle.com     mailman-admin_at_nle_com
> ...etc...

data/aliases:
> mailman_at_nle_com:       "|/home/mailman/mail/mailman post mailman at nle.com
> mailman-admin_at_nle_com: "|/home/mailman/mail/mailman admin mailman at nle.com
> ...etc...

This of course begs the questions of how mailman distinguishes between
the lists (what's the appropriate argument to the mailman binary, and
whether there are any characters besides "." that are disallowed in
domain names (what is a good encoding to use as a valid local address)?

-Dale