[Mailman-Developers] [Mailman-checkins] SF.net SVN: mailman: [8041] trunk/mailman/Mailman

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Thu Sep 28 04:45:42 CEST 2006

At 9:34 PM -0500 9/27/06, Brad Knowles wrote:

>  Moreover, I'm not keen on Maildir.  It makes a lot of trade-offs to
>  try to get something that is NFS-safe, and I'm not convinced those
>  trade-offs are worthwhile, especially not in a non-NFS environment.

One other problem with Maildir -- it throws all message files into
the same directory, and doesn't use a hashed directory scheme.  If
we're going to do directory hashing, I would think we'd want to do it
within our mailbox storage mechanism as well as elsewhere in the
queueing system.

>  In his paper regarding what they built for the Earthlinnk mail
>  system, Nick Christenson has clearly proven that you can use the
>  atomic creat() system call in a way that eliminates the need for file
>  locking on NFS, without all the various baggage that Maildir brings
>  to the table.

If you want to read Nick's paper, go to
<http://www.jetcafe.org/npc/doc/mail_arch.html>.  Note that he's also
the author of the book _sendmail Performance Tuning_, see
<http://www.jetcafe.org/npc/book/sendmail/>.

>  Mark Crispin also has a lot of good things to say about the
>  weaknesses inherent in Maildir.  You should read his comments, too.

Mark's comments can be read at
<http://www.washington.edu/imap/documentation/formats.txt.html>.  Do
a "find" on the page for "maildir", and read from there.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755

  Founding Individual Sponsor of LOPSA.  See <http://www.lopsa.org/>.