[Mailman-Developers] Incoming Queue format

emf i at mindlace.net
Fri Sep 29 05:19:01 CEST 2006

Brad Knowles wrote:
> Among other things Maildir creates really hairy long filenames, which
> can easily blow the iname/inode caching built into most filesystems

I can't find a filesystem that has a filename dependency for inode
caching, so I suspect I'm completely misunderstanding this. Could you
expand on that a bit?

> -- you could get the same benefit by using a better filename
> naming/hashing scheme with fewer characters.  It also does a lot of
> excessive synchronous meta-data operations (e.g., creating files,
> renaming files, etc...), and that can place a heavy load on the
> underlying filesystem.

Maybe; but there are at least two filesystems (XFS, reiserfs) and likely
more that handle file renaming/creating really cheaply, and have their
own ninja ways of dealing with really large directories that are the
product of a rather large amount of coding hours.

Maildir has the advantage of being bog standard and readily
comprehended. While I'm all in favor of some lmtp delivery mechanism, I
don't see why we should continue inventing our own queue-on-disk
approach merely to cater to poorly designed filesystems.

It seems to me like anyone likely to end up with a huge enough incoming
mailman queue to care about Maildir's inefficiencies would also be able
to put a sensible filesystem underneath it.

~ethan fremen