[Mailman-Developers] Debugging mailman (resolving inline signatureattachments)

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Sep 29 17:01:56 CEST 2006

Sven Ingebrigt Ulland wrote:

>Hello there. How would I go about debugging mailman, by --
>for example -- polluting the .py libraries with print or
>assert statements? If I do that (which seems like a pretty
>thoughtless idea), the output would end up .. in /dev/null?
>It would probably be better to write to file in stead?

<snip>

>I'd really like to debug that code passage to verify what
>variables are screwed up, and which are not.
>
>Any tips?

Output to stderr from the queue runners (the running Mailman processes)
is copied to Mailman's error log so you can print to sys.stderr and
the output goes to the error log.

You can also use Mailman.Logging.Syslog.syslog() calls to write to a
'debug' or other log (which will be created if necessary).