[Mailman-Developers] dkim-signature headers

Joe Peterson joe at skyrush.com
Thu Feb 1 19:13:42 CET 2007

Hi Michael,

Thanks for writing about this.  I suspect many are under the impression
that passing messages through mail lists tended to break DomainKeys and
DKIM (I know I was one, at least back when I was experimenting a lot
with it).  In fact, it always seemed to break on my Mailman lists,
leaving what seemed to be a misleading result.  It seemed that mail
lists would need to "re-sign" messages as the new sender for it to work
right, and did that not require the old key to be removed?  Maybe things
have changed recently, or maybe at least I misunderstood some aspects of it.

If, in fact, there is a way for the two to play well together, I think
that would be great!  It would remove one of the big "downsides" of
using DK/DKIM.  Since Mailman is one of the (if not *the* most) popular
mail list systems, perhaps you can help Mailman developers to make the
two things better integrated.

I would think/hope there would be a way to increase the
handling/interaction to allow for 100% reliable flow-through of keys.
That would really help DKIM's cause, I think, since so many people use
mailing lists.  Is this not theoretically possible if both Mailman and
DKIM obey an understood set of rules?  I believe that a solid way to
"fix" this is a lot better than a stochastic one.

As for body length, would that not have to be a "guess"?  I mean, short
messages would fail due to the footer, and long ones would not get full
checking (after the set length), right?  If so, that sounds like a less
than optimal solution.

I, for one, would love to see the email "accountability" problem solved.
 With spam becoming the one thing that could ruin the Internet, we need
all the help we can get.  I used DKIM for a while on my own server, but
because of Mailman gotchas, etc. (and maybe these were more a problem of
perception on my part), it seemed too easy to break.  Also, with
anything short of near global acceptance, it really seems like a tough
battle, especially when so many are adopting things like SPF, which I
never liked at all.  Certainly, resolving the mailing list issue would
be a huge step in the right direction, so consider me an enthusiastic
supporter of your efforts.

					-Joe