[Mailman-Developers] Feature Suggestion: Digest Reply handling

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Feb 12 06:09:13 CET 2007

Peter Brooks wrote:

>Anyone please correct me if this feature already exists, however I'm
>wondering if it's already been developed so that if a user reply's to a
>digest in their box then mailman will extract the relevant post they are
>replying to and also warn the user.
>Obviously there are a fair few metric with this, such as which post are they
>replying to.

I probably lack imagination, but if someone, as people do on lists I
manage, replies to a digest, doesn't change the subject, top posts and
quotes the entire digest, I don't see how you can figure out which
individual message is being replied to.

>So is this already implemented somewhere or should I develop it?

I am unaware of any implementation of anything like this feature.

I suggest, it might be easier to default everyone to the MIME digest
and train them all to use MUAs that explode the digest into individual
messages they can reply to individually.