[Mailman-Developers] Improving the archives

Jeff Breidenbach jeff at jab.org
Fri Jul 27 06:56:44 CEST 2007

> If you are relying on the sender to do the right thing, then
> why not force them to create proper message-ids?

I think Barry's proposal is essentially a numbers game - e.g.
he's hoping for significantly better results using "Date" in
the calculation than not using it.

http://wiki.list.org/display/DEV/Stable+URLs

I'll try to tease out some more useful stats from some large
datasets this weekend. (I can't just run the python scripts as is
because I don't have python 2.5 in the same place as the data,
I don't keep raw message in mbox format, blah blah blah, but
we'll figure it out).

My hypothesis is "Date" doesn't really buy much, but that's
in part because I have a vested interest in that outcome.
We'll see how the data plays out. And I still think RFC2369
headers are needed in the calculation if cross posted
messages are to be handled correctly.

Jeff