[Mailman-Developers] Templating the interface

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Tue May 1 16:06:08 CEST 2007

On Sun, 2007-04-29 at 17:12 -0500, Jon Reese wrote:
> Unfortunately there are a number of package related versions that cannot
> be upgraded easily because the packagers have not brought the RPMs up to
> date with the current stable release of Mailman (2.1.9).  They may have
> reasons for this, including versions of Python that are supported in
> various packages as well as their own development cycles and lack of
> manpower.  If I am not mistaken, RHEL3, and CentOS3 are still relegated
> to Mailman 2.1.5 due to a reliance on an earlier version of Python
> (again the packagers have not upgraded the RPMs).  I have at least two
> machines that I would like to bring to Mailman 2.1.9, but it would do
> more harm than good and other factors prevent OS upgrades.
>

> My desired hopes would include Mailman 2.1.9 support for Python 2.2.3
> without patches or changes to Python coding (for users of RHEL3 and
> CentOS3);

Perhaps you are laboring under a misconception concerning package
upgrades within RHEL. By definition RHEL is version stable, once a
version of RHEL is released a package never undergoes a version upgrade
otherwise it would violate the guarantee of stability. There are of
course some exceptions, occasionally RHEL will upgrade a package version
in extraordinary circumstances, but there is nothing here which suggests
mailman falls into this category.

If you would like to upgrade the mailman version on RHEL3 you can do so
yourself, either directly via the mailman source distribution or by
installing an RPM from another release, but this would be a site
customization unsupported by Red Hat.
--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>

Learn. Network. Experience open source.
Red Hat Summit San Diego  |  May 9-11, 2007
Learn more: http://www.redhat.com/promo/summit/2007