[Mailman-Developers] Styling patch

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri May 4 07:07:18 CEST 2007

A.M. Kuchling writes:

 > [Aside: are there many patches in the tracker that could be useful?

"Could be useful", definitely.  I've used several at one time or another.

But typically they're unsatisfactory as-is because they hard-code the
intended behavior.  OTOH, they are non-trivial to integrate as
options, so neither the original submitter nor the core devs do so.
Nor us downstream users. :-(

 > I don't know how actively they've been getting processed.

My impression is that many get considered when first submitted, but
then languish indefinitely due to the above kind of problem.

 > Does there need to be a push to process bugs and patches?

I suspect getting more modularity, making it easier to turn
interesting ideas into generally available options, should be given
precedence.  Especially since that's where Barry is headed in Mailman
3 AIUI.

If the Triumvirate could free up some time for it, an MvL-like
review-for-5-reviews policy, even if only a limited-time offer, could
help clean up the backlog, though.