[Mailman-Developers] Should we move to Bazaar?

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri May 4 20:18:58 CEST 2007

Barry Warsaw writes:

 > So my take away from this is that while a conversion would be /
 > possible/ it's not completely seamless or automatic.  If we choose
 > wrong, we'll suffer some pain, but we'll recover. ;)  Would you say
 > that's accurate?  I could live with that.

I really doubt we'd suffer much pain, since current capabilities are
so similar.  But my experience with Tailor is that it's not perfect,
there is some risk depending on the quality of the adapters to the
VCSes in question.

For example, CVS will give you user names for committers, while modern
systems use fullname-email pairs.  You'd like to automatically convert
(this is not rocket science ...), but Tailor currently gives no way to
feed in a dictionary.  I mentioned that git gives you the distinction
between committer and author (if you have Linus's legal problems, you
might care, no?)  That kind of thing.

What you won't have a problem with is commit-is-transaction semantics.
The version graph of the project will be preserved intact.  That
should be good enough.