[Mailman-Developers] Styling patch

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue May 8 20:28:16 CEST 2007

Barry Warsaw writes:

 > Would you make $list.css editable by the list admin, a la
 > listinfo.html?  Does doing so open any additional security
 > vulnerabilities?

Yes to editable, I don't know to security vulnerabilities.  View the
CSS Zen Garden (better yet, get the book), and know fear.  What those
people manage to do without ever changing a tag is amazing!

Since CSS is intended to be purely presentational, the two threats I
can see are hiding evil that they sneak in some other way, and "social
engineering" via misdirection.  Eg, I can image some mischief where
you swap the labels of the "Cancel" and "Submit" buttons via CSS.

 > > with CSS, not Python code.  Note that with a little care, the same
 > > module that does the t-t-w CSS generation could probably accept an
 > > mm_cfg.py and (a) use the variables defined in mm_cfg.py to generate
 > > site.css and (b) remove them (warning loudly that setting them in the
 > > future will have no effect).
 >
 > I don't like being able to upload mm_cfg.py ttw, even if it's just to
 > suck a few ui variables out of it.  If we're going to allow ttw
 > updating to the css, let's just do that directly instead of going
 > through Python code.

Sorry, my wording was *very* imprecise.  What I had in mind was that
the ttw CSS generating <FORM> in HTML will give you KEY=VALUE pairs,
which is what mm_cfg.py is.  So the logic for generating CSS would be
the same.  The UIs would be completely separate.  ttw would go via one
or more HTML forms.  The "import mm_cfg" inteface would only be
available via the shell, that would not be available ttw.