[Mailman-Developers] Styling patch

Ethan Fremen i at mindlace.net
Sun May 13 01:23:03 CEST 2007

Ethan Fremen wrote:

> For pages that are "generated" rather than hand-edited, I propose we use
> this doctype as of 2.2:

And with 3.0 I would like to see the following:

* All pages served as xhtml strict with Content-type:
application/xhtml+xml . This is "problematic" in that you lose
document.write() in javascript but beneficial in that you actually get
an infoset (meaning you can mix, eg, MathML and XHTML or XHTML and SVG.)
(Maybe with a little helper function that checks included JS for
deprecated member access.)

* All through-the-web editing using some wysiwyg editor like Kupu, with
fallback plain-text editing and handholding well-formedness checks.

* Serve non ttw pages via webdav with "source port" or "source path" if
necessary.

* Deprecate CSS_FILES & JS_FILES in favor of whatever our dynamic
templates say.

Now that I think about it, I think I would prefer having a HEAD_HTML
variable that is a string or one-line-per-list-element variable in 2.2
that had the <link> and <style> elements written out in order to make
deprecation easier, and to support all the spiffy oddness one might want
to put in the head element.

~ethan