[Mailman-Developers] Done.

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Thu Apr 10 23:45:23 CEST 2008

On Mar 27, 2008, at 1:12 PM, Jo Rhett wrote:
> I've been incredibly tolerant of being abused on this issue for 3
> weeks
> now, but the now-constant flood of people coming forward to say that
> I'm
> not respecting the mailman community is too funny.  It breaks the
> bounds
> of reality.
>
> *I* did one thing.  I pointed out an issue that *EVERYONE* knows
> about,
> even the non-technical news media.  I asked that something be done
> soon.
>  I wrote my post clearly and politely.
>
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-developers/2008-March/019804.html
>
> Did I receive a respectful response addressing these issues from
> anyone
> who writes code for the project?
>
> Yes: Mark Sapiro wrote me a respectful reply on March 5.

I'd have been shocked if that wasn't the case.

> I had a nice dinner with a number of people last night on this topic,
> and not a single person (all of whom witnessed this thread) felt that
> trying to address this issue here was producing any results.
>
> So I am done.  Keep your derision to yourself, and keep wasting time
> telling people how they should respect you rather than solve the
> problem.
>
> I am right now updating our AUP documentation to mention that
> Mailman is
> explicitly banned unless the person provides documentation of the
> configuration/patches they have applied to prevent backscatter.  I am
> notifying the known mailman sites within our network.  We are done
> with
> this issue.

I'm sorry that it had to come to this for you, but suffice to say that
the issue /will/ be addressed, though maybe not as timely or in the
manner that you would like to see.  I think our position is entirely
consistent with overall good project management principles, which have
to weigh conflicting requirements and make reasoned compromises.

Such is the nature of all-volunteer open source projects, and of
course forks are always possible.  Today, they can be as constructive
and collaborative as Bazaar branches make possible.

Cheers,
- -Barry